Monday, April 2, 2012

Meatless Meals: Dal-Nirvana

I wasn't planning on eating this tonight. It was supposed to be a meal for later in the week, but the commissary was closed today, and this was the only recipe on my list that I had the most ingredients on hand. Luckily, we have neighbors we are pretty close with and I was able to borrow a can of diced tomatoes.


It's called Dal-Nirvana with Naan. You can find the recipe for the Dal (aka lentils) here, and the recipe for Naan (aka flatbread) here
I found the recipes yesterday when I was putting together my grocery list for the week. 

I was a little intimidated to make this, only because I had heard Indian food was difficult to make correctly. The closest we have ever had to eating Indian food is the Nepali food that I learned to make from some friends. I guess I still don't know if this dish turned out "right", but it sure tasted good! J* said he liked it and wouldn't mind if I made it again, but I didn't get the usual "Mhmm!" reaction (only slightly disappointing since I felt like I went out on a limb to make Indian food!).

If you are looking for a good, healthy, filling, CHEAP recipe - give it a try!

*I forgot to mention, the recipe calls for canned tomatoes and cream. I used fire roasted tomatoes and some Greek yogurt instead of the cream. 

2 comments:

  1. Dal is a favorite over here too :) I recently just discovered you're supposed to use masur lentils. It makes a huge difference! They're a bright orangish color and smaller than regular lentils. It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, that looks yummy!! Can't wait to do some ethnic cooking with you guys soon!! ;)

    P.S. Didn't know you were a blogger too?? Fun!

    ReplyDelete