Monday, March 12, 2012

Seek God's Justice

"Learn to do right; Seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow."
Isaiah 1:17

Several years ago I was involved in the Invisible Children campaign. Since then, it has been something I have cared about, but unfortunately is an issue that didn't hold my passion like it should. I think that happens to all of us. We care about something bigger than ourselves, yet when we are not faced with the challenges daily, it slips to the back of our minds. Does that mean we ceased to care? Not necessarily. We are only human, and thankfully, we serve a gracious God who knows this about each and every one of us. 

Most of you that will take the time to read this will probably have already seen the new face of the Invisible Children campaign that came out in the past few days, Kony2012. If you haven't, it is a movement geared toward taking down the leader of the Lord's Resistance Army in Africa (I would say Uganda, but the army has since moved into other territories and are no longer just a threat to the people of Uganda.) You can go here to watch the film, which is about 30 minutes long.

The past few weeks in church we have been studying the importance of faith. So far we have gone through several of the people from the Old Testament, and this week we looked at Joseph in particular. Joseph had faith that God's promise to his people would hold true even when he died before the promise came to fruition. If you would like to hear about his faith in God's promise you can go here and listen.

I love when God lines up what you have been studying with a practical application. Without a way to apply His word to our lives, it wouldn't mean much to us.
Let's have faith like that of Joseph. That God's promises to us last beyond what we can envision. Let's not forget that we can have faith for things to happen although we are human and have difficulty seeing the end result.

So far, J* and I have been able to keep this situation on the forefront of our minds and pray for God's justice to reign (which is really saying something since we are not very disciplined in our prayer - I am betting that is God). I also have a date marked on my calendar to write a letter to a politician.

Why am I not writing the letter now? Because I know how these things work. People get excited about things for a short while and then their excitement dwindles. I am sure this is starting to happen already, as I started writing this post the day after the video hit it big on the Internet, and am now finishing it almost a week later. The point is, we must not only be aware of what is going on, but we must also keep our momentum. We must keep this issue at the front of our media. Otherwise, we may fail to meet our intended goal.

So I will write my letter once some of the hype has died down, in hopes that my delay will continue to spur the interest.

What are you going to DO?

No comments:

Post a Comment