Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fancy Fish Stick Sandwich

I realize fish sticks can be a little iffy for some people.

We don't tend to eat them all that often, but every once in a while we just need some battered fish to fill that craving for comfort food.

This creation came on a cold and foggy day, perfect weather for some comfort. It was one of those days where the leftovers in the fridge magically came together to create something awesome. I love those days!

I wanted comfort food, but I also wanted something a little healthy. I knew we had just a few fish sticks left in the freezer from our celebratory dinner of fish and chips after J*'s speaking test. But what to go with them? I thought of steamed broccoli...boring! And then when I opened the fridge there it was, that bowl of leftover red cabbage and cilantro slaw from our salmon tacos.

In an instant I remembered that J* usually eats his fish sticks between bread with tartar sauce and a slice of cheese {a homemade fillet-o-fish, if you will. Apparently this was the custom for eating fish sticks and keeping food costs down when he was a kid. Smart!} Anyway, I figured I could take that idea and run with it.


Fancy Fish Stick Sandwich

4-6 fish sticks {mine were technically fish tenders, so I only used 4}
1/4 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
1Tbsp chopped cilantro
1/4 of a lime
1/2 an avocado, sliced {you can definitely use less, I just really love avocado!}
2 slices bread

Layer avocado slices on bread. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a little lime juice.

Top with fish sticks, cabbage, and cilantro. Add another quick squeeze of the lime an you are ready to eat!

I probably would have added some Chipotle Tabasco, had we had any on hand {Love that stuff!}.

So good! And, it didn't even seem like I was eating fish sticks!

No comments:

Post a Comment