In case you were wondering, I am humming the song sung by the beautiful Julie Andrews. And I fully expect you to do the same, which is why I titled today's post in such a way!
In an effort to use up the massive amounts of brown sugar I recently purchased with my neighbor {another homemaker who, as I do, has a zeal for making things from scratch}, I have been trying out lots of new recipes which call for brown sugar.
The other day I made this, for J*'s last class picnic, and this for his classmates earlier in the week. I also intend to make this for dinner sometime soon. {Since I also have a huge bag of strawberries in my freezer.} It's been nice to have a good excuse to do some experimenting. {It sorta makes me feel like I am on one of those cooking shows where they give you certain ingredients and you have to make something from them, in a nothing like that sort of way...}
Anyway, I made jam! First time ever and it was wonderful!
Spiced Brown Sugar Strawberry Jam
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups strawberries {crushed or puréed, texture is up to you!}
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Cook in a saucepan over low heat about 10 minutes, until it is boiling. Pour into a jar and let cool!
I cheated and made mine in the bread machine. {it has a jam setting, how cool is that??}
This jam turned out sort of thin, so if you want a thicker, more jelly-like jam {does that make sense?} you should add a package of fruit pectin.
Note: this is not a canned version, and I don't know if it is a can-able recipe or not because I don't know how to can. However, it will keep in the fridge for a week or two, or maybe longer if you'r brave!


No comments:
Post a Comment